Ladies & Gentleman, may I have your attention, please: my 100th Blog Post!!!!
The victorious British then burned Washington.
– All Facts Considered
That was probably the funniest sentence I’ll read all day. History, guys, I’m beginning to enjoy it again. I had forgotten how much I liked studying the subject. My rediscovered passion for it has led to my decision to minor in History. I can’t wait.
But, where that quote comes into play for this post is more focusing on the British. And, how, I hate to break it to you, they’re better than us. Maybe not in every way, but in quite a few. Shall I list them for you? Well, let’s see:
- Imperialism – they started it. That whole colonial thing? They did that before us. And better, too.
- Slave trade – they stopped it waaay before we did.
- Socialism done right – let’s face it, the Brits are way more liberal than we are. They’re not actually socialists (they leave that to the Swedes), but they do have the whole liberal thing down. Which, for some (like me), is a pro. I know many people would hate it, but they’re conservatives are basically equivalent to our liberals. Health care? They’ve got it. Gay marriage? Legal there. And so on, and so forth.
- Music – just, don’t fight me on this, okay? They’re ahead of us. Maybe we can attribute it to the fact that they’re five hours ahead of us as it is. But really, they’ve gifted us with The Beatles, The Stones, Radiohead, The Who, The Clash, Bowie, Franz Ferdinand, British Sea Power, Lemon Jelly… I could go on, and on, and on.
- Television – that’s the whole point of this post. The British have better tv than us. But more than that, Americans suck. Especially those stupid producers who think that converting British shows for American television is a good idea. It rarely is. Some of the more notable remakes include: Life on Mars, Top Gear, American Idol, Little Britain, Antiques Roadshow, and a lot more. But in the next year, two more shows will be revealed to American audiences: Being Human, and Skins.
Now, y’all, I’m not going to lie: Skins is one of my favorite shows. And, full disclosure, I even auditioned for the American version. But that was more for the benefit of my friend. I’d rather write for the show. Because that’s the great thing about Skins – it’s more real than any other show about teenagers manages to be in 2011. It’s predominantly written by and starring kids the same age as the characters. The auditions for the American version were held for only those between the ages of 15-18. The average age of the writing staff on the British version was 21. It’s about young people, by young people. But, like I said, America sucks. One of the (many) great things about the British version is that the show is not really censored at all. There’s lots of drug usage, underage drinking, partying, raves, nudity and sex. Lots of drugs, drinking and sex.
From what I’ve seen of the new American version there’s not much difference. A couple names were changed. There aren’t accents. Oh, yeah, and the show’s going to be censored to Hell and back. They’ve already given the new MTV series a MA rating. All that really seems to mean is that it has to be on after 10pm. Big whoop. There’s just no way it will be the same nitty-gritty, pill abusing, rave going, sexcapade having group of Brits. It’s just going to suck.
And, I couldn’t find it, but the trailer for the American Skins is the exact same as one of the British ones for Series 1. Exact same. Except Sid is now Stanley. And no fun accents. Boo. MTV, you ruin everything.